It’s road trip planning time!
In less than a month (ie on August 25), I’ll be starting on my cross-country adventures. And I need your help! I’m trying to make this as budget-friendly as possible (ie I’m not afraid of sleeping on couches/floors), so if you or someone else that you know would be willing to host me, or if you have any travel tips of where to go/things to see, please let me know.
Seriously. Text me. E-mail me. Brain wave me.
My priorities on this trip will be:
1) See National Parks. I’ve got a very long life-bucket list, and I figured that since I plan on going back to school soon, it’ll be a while before I’ll be able to do this
2) Train for the marathon. I signed up for one in November, so this will be the perfect chance to train for it (hopefully)
3) Add pictures to my life scrapbook. I don’t have a physical scrapbook for life, obviously (unless Facebook counts?), but I just got a new camera and am excited to capture the beauty of the good ol’ US of A.
4) Hike, bike, canoe, and do anything else that involves Mother Nature. I’ve missed the US far too much while I was gone. Especially Mama Nature. So this will be a good chance to get to know her again.
5) Catch-up with and make friends. The planning of this trip involved first finding where I wanted to go, then figuring out who might be on my path. So, I’m hoping that I’ll be crossing paths with some long-lost friends, while meeting some newbies along the way
Here’s my plan, for the moment. It’ll probably change a few times between now and the real thing. But that’s life. If there are asterisks next to the destination, it means that I most likely don’t have a place to stay. Please let me know if you have any leads! Also, I’m sending out emails today/tomorrow about places to stay. So look out for an email if you said that you might be able to host me🙂
August 25: Drive to Ohio
August 26: Drive to Chicago
August 27: Drive to Milwaukee
*August 28: Drive to Omaha
*August 29: Drive to Denver
*August 30 – September 4: Denver
*September 5: Drive to Yellowstone
*September 6-10: Yellowstone
*September 11: Drive to Glacier National Park
*September 12-14: Glacier National Park
September 15: Drive to Seattle
September 16: Seattle
*September 17: Drive to Olympic National Park
*September 18-20: Olympic National Park
Septemer 21: Drive to Portland
September 22-23: Portland
*September 24: Drive to Crater Lake
September 25: Drive to San Francisco
September 26-27: San Francisco
*September 28: Drive to Lake Tahoe
*September 29: Lake Tahoe
*September 30: Drive to Yosemite
*October 1-4: Yosemite
*October 5: Drive to Death Valley
*October 6: Drive to Zion National Park
*October 7-9: Zion National Park
*October 10: Drive to Bryce National Park
*October 11: Bryce National Park
*October 12: Drive to Arches National Park (worth it??)
*October 13: Drive to Grand Canyon National Park
*October 14-16: Grand Canyon National Park
*October 17: Drive to Albequerque
October 18: Drive to Austin
October 19: Austin
October 20: Drive to New Orleans
October 21-22: New Orleans
October 23: Drive to Tampa
October 24: Tampa
*October 25: Drive to Everglades
*October 26-27: Everglades
*October 28: Drive to Savannah (or maybe NC?)
October 29: Drive to Williamsburg
October 30: Williamsburg
October 31: DC!
I’m also giving myself a week of buffer at the end, just in case.
Also, I’m looking for thingymabobs to take with me on the trip, some of which I would really rather not buy if I didn’t have to, since I’d probably never use it again. If you have any of the following that you want to lend me for the two month period, please let me know! I’d be happy to throw in some cash for borrowing it, too. This list will probably grow as I start nailing down more details, but here’s the gist:
1) Hiking poles (midget sized for me)
2) A small, portable one-person tent
3) Small hiking pack (for a 2 day hike)
4) Bear mace/bell thinger for hiking through bear country
5) Pocket knife
6) Road emergency kit (I’m hoping I will never have to make use of these items…and I would pay you back if I ended up using any of the items, god-forbid)
Okay, I think that’s all for now. I’ll try to update this as I get more information.
Thanks in advance for your help, y’all!
Peace and love,